Development Services Director
Development Services Director Suramy Cabrera has operational authority over Building Department, Zoning and Code Enforcement.
Prior to coming to the City of Coral Gables in 2017, Development Services Director Suramy Cabrera served as the Building Director and Building Official, at Bal Harbour Village, where in addition to performing structural plan review, she implemented a Procedures Manual, Electronic Permitting system, Standardized Forms and Inspection procedures, and completed a permit fee study that resulted in changing the permit fee structure to better match the permit fees to the services provided. Suramy worked in the private sector for two of the largest engineering and architectural companies in the South Florida serving as the structural engineer for complex jobs in the commercial, hospitality, corporate, and military sectors. She is a recognized and respected professional with more than 20 years of complex engineering and construction experience in both the private and public sectors. She is a results-oriented leader who works effectively with members of the public, developers, residents, design professionals, City employees and elected officials. She is highly skilled in the development of state-of-the-art technology (including electronic permitting and inspection software) that helps reduce turnaround, increase accuracy, and insure accountability at all levels of the organization.
Director Suramy Cabrera is a graduate of the University of Central Florida where she completed her bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in engineering. The research for a thesis was published in a technical journal related to engineering. She holds the following registrations: Professional Engineer, State of Florida and International Code Council Building Official, and Miami-Dade County Building Official/Structural Plans Examiner. She is a graduate of the University of Central Florida (Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Structures and Master of Science, Structural Engineering).
About Development Services
The Development Services Department oversees the Planning & Zoning, Building, and Code Enforcement Divisions. The Department provides customer friendly services including the review, processing, and issuance of permits and assurance that construction complies with all applicable codes.
- Public Notice- Board of Architects Workshop on Friday, January 12, 2018
- Effective April 16, 2017, the City Commission approved restriction on construction work hours. See here for details.
- Effective Feb. 01, 2017, if you are a contractor or an owner-builder with an open/expired permit you will be restricted from applying for new permits until all expired permits have been closed. See here for details. Please click this link for list of all expired permits.
- Effective March 29, 2016, the City Commission passed an ordinance requiring construction sites to post a “No Trespassing” sign. The sign is required to have a project manager’s contact information to verify whether persons on site have the authority to be there. This sign is required to be posted at each construction fence opening, and when a construction fence is not provided, at the opening of the structure. Failure to post the required sign constitutes a City Code violation subject to a fine of $100 per day.
- Effective Oct. 13, 2015, the City Commission approved certain permit fee changes such as reduction of permit fee for projects less than $500 of construction value; waiving zoning permits for certain minor residential projects; waiver permit fees for certain senior homesteaded property owners to remedy a code violation; and waiver of permit fee to repair property due to the commission of a crime. See here for details.
- In the Summer of 2015, the Development Services Department held a series of Focus Group discussions to address the City’s building permit review process. The result is a Focus Group Action Plan proposed to address the comments and feedback received from those meetings. An illustration summarizing the Department’s Action Plan can be found by clicking this link Focus Group Results.
City of Coral Gables
Development Services Department
405 Biltmore Way, Third Floor
Coral Gables, FL 33134